The passion plant, used as a fruit and food with many properties, has been in use since ancient times. The leaf of this plant is used for the preparation of medicinal meals, Known as “mallum”. It is a very important plant because it’s the ability to cure so many ailments and help to maintain a healthy life.
This sweet, seedy fruit has a very beautiful flower. The flower has 5 oblong, green sepals and 5 white petals 4-6mm in length. The base of the flower is a rich purple with 5 stamens, an ovary, and a branched style.
The fruits are 4-7.5 cm size in diameter and Purple fruits are smaller and weighing around 35g. Yellow fruits are bit larger than purple and weighing around 80g. The fruit produced is entirely fleshy. The outside colour of the berry ranges from dark-purple with fine white specks to light yellow. The flavour of the juice is slightly acidic and musky.
The fruit is used in various ways in countries. It is added to fruit salads, ice creams, fruit juices, soft drinks, cheesecakes, cookies, jam, jelly, vine, syrup, cocktail. Sri Lankan People have known vitamin content of the fruit since ancient times. that has consumed to get vitamin to maintain health and passion fruit juice is used along with faluda, is one of the most popular refreshments. Passion fruit cordial is manufactured both at home as well as industrially by mixing with sugar.
The amount of Vitamin C in the leaves of passion fruit is more than twenty times the percentage of Centella. Passion fruit contains Energy, Carbohydrates, Sugars, Dietary fibre, Fat, Protein, Vitamin A, Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Vitamin B6, Folate (B9), Choline, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus Potassium, Sodium, Zinc and Water.
01. Drinking Passion fruit juice can help you achieve healthy skin.
02. Vitamin C supplementation prevents ageing quickly and increases immunity.
03. It also helps to maintain a healthy hair condition and reduces the risk of hair loss.
04. Getting a good night’s sleep and can reduce stress.
05. Low in calorie, sodium, and fat, this will help you to reduce your unwanted weight. So, You can also maintain a nice looking body.
06. Passion fruit is an excellent anti-cancer agent as it contains flavonoids.
07. Passion fruit has the ability to maintain eye health and increase haemoglobin
08. Maintains the function of the muscles and controls high blood pressure
09. It is a good remedy for constipation and inflammation of the anus and rectum.
Species: P. edulis
Binomial name: Passiflora edulis
Passion Fruit/ Weldodam/ වැල් දොඩම්/ Passiflora edulis